- Schwartz, L., Weatherman, G., Schrantz, M., Spakes, W., Charlton, J., Berndtson, K. & Shoemaker, R. (2016). Indoor environmental professionals panel of surviving mold – consensus statement. Surviving Mold. Full text.
- Berndtson, K., McMahon, S., Ackerley, M., Rapaport, S., Gupta, S. & Shoemaker, R.C. (2015). Medically sound investigation and remediation of water-damaged buildings in cases of CIRS-WDB – Consensus statement – Pt 1. Surviving Mold. Full text.
Journal Peer Review
- McMahon, S, Kundomal, K. & Yangalasetty, S. (2017). Pediatrics Norms for Visual Contrast Sensitivity Using an APT VCS Tester. Medical research archives, 5(5), May 2017. doi: dx.doi.org/10.18103/mra.v5i5.1295 | Full text
- McMahon, S. (2017). An Evaluation of Alternate Means to Diagnose Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome and Determine Prevalence. Medical research archives, 5(3). March 2017. Full Text
- Shoemaker, R., Katz, D., Ackerley, M., Rapaport, S., McMahon, S., Berndtson, K. & Ryan, J. (2017). Intranasal VIP safely restores volume to multiple grey matter nuclei in patients with CIRS. Internal medicine review, (3)4. Full text.
- Ryan, J.C. & Shoemaker. R.C. (2016). RNA-Seq on patients with chronic inflammatory response syndrome (CIRS) treated with vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP) shows a shift in metabolic state and innate immune functions that coincide with healing. Medical research archives, 4(7). doi: dx.doi.org/10.18103/mra.v4i7.862. Full text.
- McMahon, S.W., Shoemaker, R.C, and Ryan, J.C. (2016). Reduction in forebrain parenchymal and cortical grey matter swelling across treatment groups in patients with inflammatory illness acquired following exposure to water-damaged buildings. Journal of neuroscience and clinical research, 2016, 1(1). Full text.
- Ryan, J.C., Wu, Q., & Shoemaker, R.C. (2015). Transcriptomic signatures in whole blood of patients who acquire a chronic inflammatory response syndrome (CIRS) following an exposure to the marine toxin ciguatoxin. BMC med genomics, 2015, (8)15. doi: 10.1186/s12920-015-0089-x PMID 25889530
- Shoemaker, R.C., House, D.E., & Ryan, J.C. (2014). Structural brain abnormalities in patients with inflammatory illness acquired following exposure to water-damaged buildings: A volumetric MRI study using NeuroQuant. Neurotoxicology and teratology, 45, 18-26. doi: 10.1016/j.ntt.2014.06.004, PMID: 24946038, Full text
- Shoemaker, R.C., House, D.E., & Ryan, J.C. (2013). Vasoactive intestinal polypeptide (VIP) corrects chronic inflammatory response syndrome (CIRS) acquired following exposure to water-damaged buildings.Health, 2013, 3, 396-401. Full text
- Shoemaker, R.C., House, D.E., & Ryan, J.C. (2010). Defining the neurotoxin derived illness chronic ciguatera using markers of chronic systemic inflammatory disturbances: a case/control study. Neurotoxicology and teratology, 32(6), 633-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ntt.2010.05.007 PMID 20685390, Full text
- Shoemaker, R.C., Giclas, P, Crowder, C, House, D.E., & Glovsky, M. (2008). Complement split products C3a and C4a are early markers of acute lyme disease in tick bite patients in the United States. International archives of allergy and immunology, 146(3), 255-61. doi: 10.1159/000116362 PMID 18270493, Full text
- Shoemaker, R.C., Hudall, H.K., House, D.E., Van Kempen, A., & Pakes, G. (2006). Atovaquone plus cholestyramine in patients coinfected with Babesia microti and Borrelia burgdorferi refractory to other treatment. Advances in therapy, 23(1), 1-11. PMID 16644602, Full text
- Shoemaker, R.C., & House, D.E. (2006). Sick building syndrome (SBS) and exposure to water-damaged buildings: time series study, clinical trial and mechanisms. Neurotoxicology and teratology, 28(5), 573-88. PMID 17010568, Full text
- Shoemaker, R.C. & House, D.E. (2005). A time-series study of sick building syndrome: chronic, biotoxin-associated illness from exposure to water-damaged buildings. Neurotoxicology and teratology, 27(1), 29-46. PMID 15681119, Full text
- Shoemaker, R.C. (2001). Residential and recreational acquisition of possible estuary-associated syndrome: a new approach to successful diagnosis and treatment. Environmental health perspectives, 109 (suppl. 5), 791-6. PMID PMC1240613, Full text
Conference Peer Review
- Shoemaker, R., McMahon, S., Ryan, J., Ackerley, M., DiTulio, M., Berndtson, B., Heyman, A. & Jaffe, R. (2015). Correlation of volumetric brain imaging with Western blot testing for Lyme Disease. Poster session. NorVect conference, 2015. Summary
- Shoemaker, R.C. & Maizel, M. (2008). Innate immunity, MR spectroscopy, HLA DR, TGF beta-1, VIP and capillary hypoperfusion define acute and chronic human illness acquired following exposure to water-damaged buildings. International healthy buildings. Full text
- Shoemaker, R.C., Hudnell K.H., House, D.E. & Domenico, P. (2003). Association of nasal carriage of methicillin resistant and multiple antibiotic resistant coagulase negative staphylococci species with deficiency of alpha melanocyte stimulating hormone in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: implication for expanded treatment options.American society of microbiology, 2003. Full text
- Shoemaker, R.C. (2003). Linkage disequilibrium in alleles of HLA DR: differential association with susceptibility to chronic illness following exposure to biologically produced neurotoxins. American society of microbiology. 2003. Full text
Books and Newsletters
- Shoemaker, R.C. & Maziel, M.S. (2009). Exposure to interior environments of water-damaged buildings causes a CFS-like illness in pediatric patients: a case/control study. Bulletin of the IACFS/ME 2009, 17(2). Full text
- Shoemaker, S., Rash, J. & Simon, E. (2003). Sick building syndrome in water damaged buildings: generalization of the chronic biotoxin-associated illness paradigm to indoor toxigenic-fungi exposure.Bioaerosols, fungi, bacteria, mycotoxins and human health. Johanning, E (editor). Chapter Text
- Shoemaker, R., & Ryan, J. (2014). US Patent No. 20,140,046,143 A. Washington, DC: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Google patents
- Shoemaker, R., & Hudnell, H. (2003). Us Patent No. 20,030,219,400 A1. Washington, DC: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Google patents
- Visit Surviving Mold for the complete library of scientific papers authored or co-authored by Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker.
- Gunn, S.R., Gunn, G.G. & Mueller, F.W. (2016). Reversal of refractory ulcerative colitis and severe chronic fatigue syndrome symptoms arising from immune disturbance in an HLA-DR/DQ genetically susceptible individual with multiple biotoxin exposures. American journal of case reports, 2016(17), 320–325. doi: 10.12659/AJCR.896949 PMC4913732 PMID 27165859
- Bredesen D.E. (2016). Inhalational Alzheimer’s disease: an unrecognized – and treatable – epidemic. Aging, 8(2), 304-13. PMID 26870879, Full Text